Friday, April 29, 2011

I Need Dirt!


It’s Spring. Time to be digging around and growing things.

The problem is that my yard has been overrun by damn strawberries. Yes, I know. Stop complaining. I’ll have 4-6 weeks of fresh fruit, totally organic, which is free. I should be celebrating.

But I’m not. I need to plant things and there’s not an inch of space left. I’ve already dug around, getting the garden in the courtyard at work ready to plant so for now, there’s nothing left to do there. I even planted a few pansies so I have something pretty to look out at and watch grow.

I need more! I’m about the most disorganized gardener you’ll find. When it comes to flowers, I like chaos. Riots of color, mismatched plants, things that shouldn’t grow where I stick them. I’ve learned, over the years, to ask the yard spirits to watch over whatever I plant and not to yank out things that are already growing happily, even if they aren’t where I want them. Leaving things be seems to make the yard spirits happy and then they help with the rest of the plants. Thus the out of control strawberries in my yard. I’ve asked the spirits for space to plant other things too but for now, they want strawberries.

Which leaves me roaming around, looking for space I can claim. Anyone need help in your yard? I’ll be right over!

2 comments:

laptop battery said...

The strawberries is very delicious.What a pity.

Anonymous said...

I need to play in the dirt! Just started some seedlings on Friday, and planted 3 elephant ears. I have one little triangle of dirt, and lots of pots. I've never tried cucumbers in pots before, but I'ma gonna talk to those spirits and see if they'll help me out. :)