Monday, May 2, 2011

Believe It or Not


I know I’m generally hard on Reading, and rightly so, but today I’m going to make an exception. Yes, this is not a very nice place to live for many, many reasons and yes, I want out but even I have to admit there are some pretty spots around town.

One of them, I pass every day on my way home from work. This is the Swanona Mansion. It was built in 1891 by James Henry Carpenter who came to Reading in 1889 and founded the Carpenter Steel Company, now the Carpenter Technology Corporation. I have no idea who lives there now, but if one must live in Reading this is the house to have.

Reading, from time to time, also encourages the planting of trees. Many of the old established ones are extremely lovely, dark silver bark with fluffy pink flowers. There are a few across the street from the Swanona Mansion along with some magnolia trees. Between them and the dogwoods, my commute last week most enjoyable.

No comments: