Monday, May 23, 2011

Disturbing


Nice to see you’re all still with us and that your corner of the world didn’t end as predicted.

I went for a ramble over the weekend, as I do from time to time. I roamed the center of Reading and a bit of the south side though I didn't get quite as far as planned. For the first time in my wanderings I was honestly afraid, so much so I changed my mind about venturing somewhere alone.

Weird. I’d already walked the train tracks that cut through downtown and had to go around someone indulging in an illegal substance. His presence didn’t bother me. I strolled the center city bus terminal and chatted with various individuals that I suspect frequent the location. They were odd but felt harmless.

Then I intended to circle the former passenger train terminal. Only when I left the bus station and headed that way someone followed me. I stopped at the corner and he stopped a quarter block behind me. I turned to approach the station, got as far as the end of it and he turned the corner too. I could hear people in their yards but frankly, in most of Reading, screaming will not make anyone come racing to the rescue. So instead of walking all the way around the building I headed back to the center of town. With him staying a steady quarter-block behind me the entire three blocks until I got to the main street.

I was annoyed. Not only at him, for interrupting my walk but at myself too for giving in to my fear. But it felt very, very off and uncomfortable and I’m not about to ignore that sort of thing. Not with all the other places I’ve been and the people I’ve encountered without feeling that way at all.

I paused to do some people watching, and to wait for him to go away before setting off again, this time in the direction of Howie. I came across a wedding about to begin and stopped to watch the bride have her dress and veil fluffed so she was perfect. While standing there, I was joined by a guy who wanted to chat about his upcoming wedding and the things his son tries to pull. He wanted to see the inside of the church so after the bride started down the aisle we went and had a peek. Nope, not at all threatening.

I guess I’ll just have to enlist someone to go with me the next time I decide to head that direction. I’m sure we can find other interesting things in that part of town if we take the time to look. And then we can have hotdogs at the Crystal Palace. Anyone want to join me for a little adventure?

1 comment:

anny cook said...

Always pay attention to that little voice. Always. There will be another, safer time to visit that special place.