Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Easily Entertained


Last weekend I made a discovery. Watching the piano play itself is as much fun now as it was when I was a kid. Seeing how the tiny holes in a roll of paper translate into music is fascinating.

The cats however, didn’t share my opinion. When I play in fits and starts, picking out notes as I go, they’re fine. It’s been a very long time so my current musical abilities leave a lot to be desired. They tend to roll their half-opened eyes at me and promptly go back to sleep. Using rolls produced entire songs played loudly without stopping. It only took seconds for them to scatter.

They were peering around the top of the steps, trying to determine if that thing making all the racket was going to rumble across the floor at them or if was safe to venture back down when I came across a roll with the lyrics printed on it. As you can guess, the temptation was too much to resist. Oh yeah, the cats were very unappreciative. They didn’t seem to enjoy being serenaded one bit.

Even though I had a blast I somehow doubt karaoke is going to become a regular Saturday occurrence.

No comments: