Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Living in Fear


I’m back.  I gave myself a birthday present of going off to spend a few days with my out of town friends.  We had a wonderful time!

But I came home to learn why my street was full of police in the wee hours of Saturday morning as I was loading up my car to leave.  There’s an apartment building three doors away from my house.  The man on the third floor lives alone.  Not long before I was preparing to begin my journey someone broke into his place via the fire escape, robbed, beat and attempted to rape him.

This man is harmless.  He’s retired and spends a lot of time polishing his car.  Everyone knows him.  He’s been in the apartment for years.  Talking to him, you’d easily discover he doesn’t have much other than his car.  But that didn’t protect him.

Makes you think, doesn’t it?

No comments: