Friday, August 3, 2012

They Know


The magic lilies growing in my yard, that is. 

They’re blooming now which means it soon will be fall.  The blooms last about a week and a half.  Every year, not long after the last fades, cooler nights set in, followed by cooler days.  I can’t begin to tell you how thrilled I was to see the first flower stalk!  It wasn’t there Tuesday when I was out in my yard.

They’re actually very cool.  They get amaryllis-type leaves early spring which die completely off.  They give you enough time to forget they’re there before sending up stalks with a whole bunch of blooms on each.  The blossoms start pale pink and darken as they age.  Just before the end of their lives they are almost blue.

So not only do they predict the change of seasons but they sprout flowers overnight that are color shifters.  See?  They really are magic!

Happy weekend all!

No comments: