Monday, June 6, 2011

Did You Know...?


There’s a species of oysters in the Caribbean that can climb trees. They are a bivalve critter which makes it possible for them to breathe out of water. They have a very strong “foot” which is a muscle that they use to do the climbing. It’s also the part you eat. I wonder if spending time in air and clambering about on trees makes them taste any different. It would certainly make them easy to harvest. Unless they climb fast and high. Then you’d need a ladder.

Non-dairy creamer is flammable. I’m thinking they mean in its undiluted state and not once it’s been poured into your coffee but I’m not absolutely positive on this. You may want to toss a match into your mug before you take a sip, just to be on the safe side. Especially if you smoke. Although I haven’t read any articles about people being ignited first thing in the morning so I guess those of you who still smoke are safe. Still, if I were you, I’d pay close attention to the order in which you do things.

It is rumored that a common custom in Spain is to eat one grape for each of the last 12 seconds of every year for good luck. As in 12 grapes in 12 seconds? I’m not certain about this one and unfortunately the Hispanic population in Reading stems from other areas of the globes so I have no one local to clarify this one. Perhaps you know someone who could help us out. Regardless, it’s clear that this is what I’ve been doing wrong. First, I can’t tell you the last time I bothered staying up and marking the exact ending of a year. Second, December isn’t really fresh, local grape season in around here so I have tremendous doubts that there have been 12 grapes available in my house on New Year’s Eve. I’ll have to try to remember this one and see if I can do better.

One last tidbit and I’ll stop rambling at you for the day. That yummy Worcestershire sauce you use to enhance the flavor of various meals? If it were called what it is literally its name would be Anchovy ketchup. Yeah, not quite the same appeal, is there?

No comments: