Thursday, June 6, 2013

Some People



Strawberry season is winding down in my yard. I must admit that as much as I dislike picking them, mainly because I get all bitten up by very nasty, itch-making invisible bugs, I am going to hate not having ultra fresh, organic fruit in an instant even more.

I shared about twenty quarts this season and have eaten that many and then some, probably double that.  The other day an individual I haven’t shared any with made a special point to comment on how small the berries were that I had given to someone else. Hey, it was over ninety several days last week and these plants have been bearing hard for a month.  Yes, many of the berries now are on the small side.  She repeated the comment three times in different ways, saying how she could tell they were not purchased, due to the size and how much extra effort it would take to prepare them.

Hmm.  No, it won’t. Not for her it won’t because I won’t be offering any to her. Not this season, not ever. I certainly could have tomorrow as I harvested over two quarts this afternoon. Instead, I’m going to enjoy all those little berries on my own.  Does that make me selfish? I don’t think so because I have shared plenty of the previous pickings with many other people. In fact, I think not giving her any qualifies me as kind since I’m not causing her any undue strain by expending the extra effort to clean and slice such teeny, tiny nuisance strawberries.

So if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go and get back to it. I want berries for dessert tonight as well as breakfast tomorrow.

No comments: