Friday, June 14, 2013

Today's Rant



I am feeling the need to have a tiny rant.  About sweet red pepper of all things.  I know, I know.  Ridiculous.  But I’m tired of it being added to EVERYTHING and ANYTHING!

Just my opinion of course and you’re welcome to disagree but there are some things that simply do not benefit from the addition of red peppers.  Like the chicken and dumplings that I’ve been eating since I was a kid.  Seriously, this was my standard lunch when I came home from kindergarten.  I happily continued to consume it until a few years ago when the company who makes it got the not-so-bright idea to dump a handful of pepper pieces into it.  Oh sure, it makes it prettier, red peppers, green peas, orange carrots, but it also completely alters the taste into something I no longer enjoy.  Furthermore they have tampered with a decent childhood memory.  I don’t have all that many of them and I do not appreciate it.

Don’t misunderstand.  I like sweet red peppers.  Once they are available locally I will eat them plain as a snack, toss some in my salads, add them to stirfrys.  Yes, I like the flavor of them just fine.  Where it belongs.

I stumbled across another misplacement of this taste just the other day.  I wandered next door for ham and bean soup only to look into my bowl and spy the dreaded red chunks.  It wasn’t awful.  But it wasn’t exactly good either.  Not at all the taste I was looking forward to when I set out to acquire some.  My fault though I suppose.  My question when I call was, “What is the soup today?”  From now on I will need to follow that up with, “Is it made with sweet red peppers?”

Live and learn.

Happy weekend all!

No comments: