Monday, October 28, 2013

Another Tradition



The coming of fall means more than flannel sheets.  It also brings a favorite food.  Not that it really has anything to do with the season.  It’s something that, in my opinion, is a chilly weather meal.

My grandmother knew how I loved it and used to make it often.  Yes, even when I visited in the summer though to me, it just never tasted as good when it was hot outside.  The recipe originated with Jane who was one of the cousins. 

In the family there was my grandmother and great aunt and the five cousins.  As girls, they were inseparable.  I loved visiting when I was very young.  I sometimes got to stay at Cousin Jerry’s house.  She and her husband never had children and borrowed me on occasion when I was visiting my great aunt and grandmother. 

There were always stories of the cousins for the asking.  Cousin Francis moved away and made her home in South Carolina.  Cousin Mary ran a canoe rental stand on the local creek.  Cousin Jane had a daughter also named Barbara so growing up we were the Barbies even though we are separated by twenty some years.  And Cousin Betty married an author, lived in New York City and was the Grand Central Station information lady.  Oh yeah, you can imagine how much I adored when she would come home for holidays.  They were all wonderful women and I am very fortunate to have had them in my life growing up.

They’re all gone now except for Jane.  So it is in her honor that I share this recipe with you.  May you enjoy it as much as I always have.  Please make it and share it with your families.  I’m sure the ladies would be thrilled to have one of our traditions become one of yours.

The Dish
From Jane McCoy, one of the cousins

¼ lb dried beef
½ lb grated sharp cheddar
2 c milk
7 oz uncooked macaroni
4 hard boiled eggs - chopped
2 cans cream of mushroom soup

Mix everything together.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Bake 1 hour at 350 until bubbly.

No comments: