Friday, November 15, 2013

For Sale



The Reading Royals minor league hockey club, last year’s Kelly Cup champions.

The team has been in Reading since its inception in 2000 and is currently owned by SMG, the management firm that oversees Reading’s entertainment venues and the Berks County Convention Center Authority.  Apparently they want out because attendance is way down and the owners aren’t making a profit.

Hmm.  Perhaps this is more because Reading’s economy is still so horrendous that less people can afford to go to games.  Maybe the owners should be helping figure a way to improve that rather than bailing on one of the good things the city has.

It was reported that they will attempt to find a private buyer that will keep the team in town.  Let’s hope they do.  Reading needs things to be proud of not more memories of what once was.

I was going to say I have twenty bucks and ask who wanted to go in with.  But now I have to use that as part of my quality of life fine for having the audacity to plant flowers in the yard.  Still, if you want to go together and buy the team, I’ll be with you as soon as I win my appeal against the city.  (See earlier rant for what I'm on about.)

No comments: