Friday, June 13, 2014

Hundreds!

Twenty-six years ago when I moved into this hovel I dug up the grass and planted flowers.  I'm not one to use chemical sprays so I purchased three Preying Mantis egg sacks to control the nasty bugs who thought my posies were tasty.  Ever since then there have been yearly majestic Mantises in the yard along with several pods of eggs.

A week and a half ago I was tidying the yard and found a sack.  It didn't look as if it had hatched which had me a bit concerned.  I thought they'd be bugs by now.  Would this be the first year without any uber cool critters?

Nope!  I went outside last Thursday to take the yard trash bag from the back to the front and noticed tiny things scurrying all over the wall.  Guess what they were?  Yep!  Hundreds of teeny tiny Preying Mantises, all racing away from the egg sack they just popped out of.  None longer than my thumbnail.  I swear it was just about the coolest thing I'd ever seen.  Teensy weensy Preying Mantises!!!

Life is good.  Happy weekend, all!




No comments: