Sunday, September 16, 2012

How Not to be a Writer



Click on Word.  Open new file.  Format paragraph.  Justified.  Indent first line, .3.  Spacing 1.5. Click ok.  Ready.  Set.  Write.
Only it’s not that easy.  Not with a gazillion things racing through my mind, drowning out all the things I really want to hear.  Blink, blink, blink goes the cursor.  Wait.  Is that a character voice?  Sh, it’s almost formed.  No!  Lost in the worry of my dining room ceiling falling. 
Write.  But there are taxes to pay.  Car insurance.  Home owners insurance.  Cats that need shots.  Car inspection.  Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera…  As they say in the Music Man, “Pick a little, talk a little, pick a little, talk a little.”   Round and round it goes.  My mind that is.  Bounce, bounce, bounce.
Write.  Can’t hear myself think for all the static in my head.  No clear thoughts.  Aaaahhhh!  Is that screaming?  It is.  Who?  Oh gods, it’s me!
Click close Word.  No, do not save changes to document.  Click start menu.  Click turn off computer.  Click turn off.
Maybe tomorrow…

No comments: