Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Green Muck


There are very few things I enjoy about summer. I can break it down into three sub-seasons. The first is Chex Mix season. I make my own. It’s nothing like the stuff sold prepackaged. This lasts from Memorial Day to Fourth of July. That’s how long it takes to make and eat enough batches to use up all the ingredients.

The third season is fresh fruit and veggie season. It kind of runs all summer but is mostly towards the end because there are more choices then. If I have time, I go raid my mother’s garden since she grows all sorts of stuff. If not, I’m fortunate enough to live in an area with unlimited roadside stands. Everyone with any excess produce puts out a table, many of which operate on an honor system. Select what you want and leave the cash, generally a ridiculously low amount requested, in the jar. Make your own change. There are also several local farmers markets.

The second sub-season is in full swing now. Green muck, er, pudding season. What? Never had it? Never even heard of it? How could you survive all these years without it? It’s about as simple as can be to make and super yummy on a hot day.

Here’s what you do. Thaw a tub of cool whip. Mix in one can of crushed pineapple, one box of instant pistachio pudding and a third of a bag of mini marshmallows. Stir well and refrigerate. How’s that for easy? At my house, I don’t even bother with a separate dish when it’s time to have some. It’s like Ben & Jerry’s ice cream – meant to be eaten straight out of the original container. Oh, I recommend buying three of each of the first three ingredients. That way you can make three batches and won’t need to figure out what to do with the leftover marshmallows. It will also make this season last long enough to get you into the height of the fresh produce harvest.

No comments: