Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Kutztown Folk Festival


Bright and early this morning, Howie and I zipped off to Kutztown. I thought I’d go early before it got too hot. Howie, being Howie, got us a space right at the entrance. Gotta love that little car!

Since we got there not long after it opened, everything was still fairly empty. Which means I got to chat with people as I wandered. I met this great woman who made garden pottery. While I was there, she was setting up molds for garden doors, the idea being that latter on kids would come by and paint them. Yep, I was tempted to ask if I could do one too but decided to be an adult and leave them for the real kids.

Next, I took in a glass blowing demonstration. Amazing how in five minutes a molten glob became a pocket flask. He made it look so easy. I can’t imagine the time and effort it takes to make it seem so effortless.

Then I went and found the chair caning display, the main reason for my going to this festival. It was being demonstrated by the cutest little old man and his grandson. I expressed my interest and was instantly given a five-minute lesson. Again, a true craftsman making something look incredibly easy. He followed up by going over a how to pamphlet with me and then let me ask questions. In the end, he told me to give it a try. If I run into trouble I have an open invitation to stop by his workshop. How cool is that!

Of course I couldn’t leave without walking through the quilt house. Absolutely gorgeous. All sizes and colors. All for sale. Um, yeah. Maybe someday I’ll be able to afford one. Probably better to just make my own. Believe it or not, that is something I’ve actually attempted and could accomplish if I decided I was determined. Today however, I merely roamed and drooled. Awards were handed out and the top quilts are being auctioned on Saturday. In case you’re interested, the bidding for the three highest winners starts at $1250.

There was way too much food, all of which smelled yummy. Too many choices so I ended up with a locally brewed birch beer (more on that in a different blog!) and a roasted ox sandwich. I resisted the homemade ice cream and apple dumplings. I know, dumb, right?

I haven’t been to this festival since I was 10 and now I’m wondering why that is. It was fun. Lots of crafts and exhibits, yarn spinning, antique tractors that are almost 100 years old and still functional. A petting zoo with the sweetest baby animals. Excellent, home-style food prepared without chemicals and preservatives. Music and entertainment. It’s a great event. And, it’s going on until Sunday so you still have time to attend. I recommend it!

No comments: