Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A New Lodger?


I was working away at my desk today when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. I looked, expecting one of the resident squirrels, only to spy the hugest opossum I’ve ever seen.

It was sauntering happily around the yard, sniffing, digging up tidbits the squirrels have stashed out there. I thought it was going merrily on its way when it climbed up the fire escape and strolled across the roof next door but it came back. It wandered around the yard a few times, hopping up on a wall to have a drink. It then curled its tail around some dry leaves and scampered up a tree to get to the porch where it seems to have been starting a nest in the built in cabinet. Amazing how agile it is considering it looks fairly elderly.

Sadly for the possum the cabinet is now closed tightly and so far it hasn’t managed to reopen it. There are plenty of other nooks and crannies in the neighborhood where it could take up residence. When I left it was sitting up on top of the third floor fire escape next door so perhaps it’ll spy something it likes. We really can’t have it living on the porch but it would be pretty cool to have it swing by and say hi now and then.

No comments: