Thursday, January 12, 2012

Today's Rant


As a general rule, I make an effort to have patience and be polite with people I encounter throughout my day. At least until they give me solid reasons not to be. However, I’m seriously considering making a change to that policy.

More and more, individuals standing in front of me are beginning conversations with “I need.” My reaction to that has always been “no.” Previously, I’ve given them a gentle reminder and the opportunity to rephrase their request. Now, it’s happening so often that my response is rapidly changing to an emphatic “HELL NO!” Along with a fear-for-your-safety-back-away-and-proceed-to-the-nearest-exit-with-all-due-haste glare.

When did all semblances of pleasantries and consideration vanish from our existence? Is it asking too much for an individual to offer some form of greeting prior to making demands on me? Or to say “could I please have” or “would you mind” instead of “I need”?

Apparently, it is. Perhaps it’s time for me to remind people that I have a sharpened pencil and I’m not afraid to use it.

1 comment:

Ally said...

I completely understand your frustration here! It seems like more and more people are getting this false sense of entitlement. Drives me crazy!