Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Angry!



I was happily working away today, doing what I do, when the phone rang.  It was an Indian-sounding man asking for a former employee.  I started with my standard, “I’m sorry. You have the wrong number.” that I always spout.  Only today it did no good.  He called back.

After the eighth time of repeating myself, I grew tired of being called a liar and transferred him to an empty office.  That usually makes annoying people go away.  Not this guy.  He had an auto-dialer that tied up all the lines for half an hour. 

Several other people spoke with him, confirming that the individual he wanted was no longer employed but he wouldn’t stop.  He was rude and harassing to all of us.  Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

And, since it’s a business, I couldn’t really just pull the plug on the phone.  In the midst of all this the odd legitimate call did manage to get through, though I have no idea how.

I tried the call trace code because I would very happily turn him in but it seems to be no longer functional.  We all tried asking for a supervisor.  We tried giving him the number to the employment verification service the company utilizes but nothing got through to him.  He was on a roll, being rude and hateful.  We even tried saying we were the individual he wanted but by then that only made him nastier.

He finally quit calling here. I suspect he moved on to attacking someone else for the moment but I’m sure he’ll be back.  I really hope I’m not at my desk when he starts up again.  He seriously disrupted my Zen. 

I need chocolate.

No comments: