Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Little Things



I had corn flakes for breakfast today.  Plain old ordinary corn flakes.  No sugar.  Just milk.  And they were really good!

I sometimes forget about simple things like that.  It’s summer, the height of fresh fruit season which is what has been my breakfast since the strawberries began back in May.  Since then I’ve had plums, peaches, nectarines, cherries and blueberries.  All yummy and much enjoyed.  But they’ve made me push aside the other things I breakfast on when local fruits are not available.

Now I suppose I could combine the two and have fruit on my corn flakes but I’m really not a big fan of that.  No fruit in cereals and no crackers in my soup.  And no flavoring the fresh picked cucumbers I’m snacking on these days.  Just plain, pure sun-ripened taste is how I like summer things.

Except for corn.  Hey, there is always an exception!  Corn on the cob needs butter no matter how sweet it is.  Of course if it’s cut off the cob, plain is best.  Yeah, I’m a bit odd about that but we all have our quirks.  What are yours when it comes to summer bounties?

No comments: