Saturday, August 23, 2008

An Observation

Last night while Mouse was sitting next to me, once again laughing, I was petting him, pulling off handful after handful of loose fur and I got to thinking. I do this just about every day. Several times a day when it's hot. And when I vacuum which I do at least weekly, sometimes more, I still get a full basket of cat fur.

Where the heck does it all come from? I have average, short-haired cats that really don't shed all that much. I used to have an orange tiger who I got baseball sized clumps of fur from multiple times a day and he still looked as nice and fluffy as ever. Unless a cat has had a patch shaved or has an illness of some sort you rarely find a spot with shorter hair. Why is that? With all the hair they lose in a day's time shouldn't there be lots of areas with shorter hair?

I think perhaps the pharmacuetical companies are going about this whole baldness issue from the wrong angle. They should be studying feline genetics since that's obviously where the secret lies. Seriously, how many bald cats have you seen?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

To be honest B, the only cats I look at are yours,

J.J. Hebert said...

This just in: The secret to everlasting hair can be found in feline genetics!

Regina Carlysle said...

I have a beautiful Himalayan, very thick coat but I keep her shaved down. She seems to like it and looks like a miniature lion.