Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The World...


…revolves around me. And everything that happens within it is directly related to me. Conceited bitch, aren’t I? No. Really, I’m not. Why? Because I fully acknowledge and accept that for you, the world revolves around you. And you. And you.

Ah now you’re getting it. It’s as it should be for each of us. Unless you have children or have someone who for either mental or physical reasons is fully dependant on you, that is. Those are the exceptions to this. But even then there should still be moments in your life when you are the center of your universe.

Okay great, so why am I bothering you with this today? Because I think it’s important for all of us to remember that while we’re going about our day being the focus of our own little world the person next to us is also going about their day being the focus of their own little world. We must keep this in mind when we interact with each other. We should have balanced conversations. As in an even exchange of thoughts and ideas. Do not, for instance, if you’re a proud parent, tell me every tiny detail of your child’s life absolutely every time we meet. Yes, even though I may like your child and even though I may ask about your child on occasion, I also know there is more to your life than your child. Tell me about something else too please.

Or here’s a novel idea, since after all, my life revolves around me, ask me what’s new with me. Perhaps I’ll tell you. And then you'll comment. And I’ll add to your comment and ask something about you. Then before you know it we’ll be having, what was it called, a conversation.

See how it works? Sound reasonable? I think so. Now go out there and give it a try. Let me know how it works out for you. Who knows? You might have fun and you could even get to know some very interesting things about someone you never imagined possible.

4 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

Barbara, you've been tagged, probably for the kazillionth time:)
sandracox.blogspot.com

Regina Carlysle said...

ACK!!! More tagging. I hate this stuff. GRRRRR.

And I say this because I am the queen of my own universe.

Unknown said...

Me too...I am the Queen of my World. Good kick arse reality blog

Molly Daniels said...

How are you Barb? What's new with you? And how are the cats...