Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Learned Some Things Today


And I did it while reading a Guns & Ammo magazine.

The first thing I learned is that I’m too soft-hearted to read this sort of magazine. I understand the necessity of using strategic hunts and quotas as a population control method for the good of the species as a whole. Yes, I really do. And, as long as all parts of the kill are put to valid use I don’t have a problem with it. That said, I don’t want to know anything more about sanctioned elephant kills than I do now. In fact, I wish I didn’t know what I do.

The other thing I learned is what kind of pistol I want. I’ve had a gun permit for a gazillion years. I got it once when I was serving jury duty. Any of you who have ever had that experience know how much downtime there is. Filling out the form was a way of passing the time. Once I had it, the laws began to change, making it more difficult to obtain a permit so I continue to renew mine. I never really had any intention of owning a gun. I still don’t. But, on the off chance I ever change my mind, I now know what to look for. A Taurus PT132. It’s small enough for my hand and doesn’t take a whole hell of a lot of strength to fire it. And it kinda cute too! What? Isn’t that how you pick out a handgun? By the cuteness factor?

I didn’t quite finish the magazine so you’re likely to hear more about this tomorrow. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

3 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

I do understand population control, but it seems most hunters that spout population control really enjoy the thrill of the kill.

barbara huffert said...

Gee, you're thinking like I do Sandra.

Sommer Marsden said...

I printed that squirrel for my sick boy child. he is a squirrel..um, nut. AS for population control, we have issues in MD. They've upped the hunting season due to an overrun of deer who are starving to death. And it's sad b/c they are either a) starving to death or b) going cuckoo (as any starving thing would) and running into areas they are not meant to, nor would normally be and causing accidents with vehicles, harming or killing people AND themselves in the accident. I think hunting by nature, gets the thrill of the hunt up for hunters. But we are big animals. So I guess my question would be if a wolf is hunting a hare, does it not feel that thrill of the hunt?

I grew up with hunters in the family. Good men who hunted to provide and still do. I'm fine with hunting if you do not waste any of your kill. I guess that is my Native American blood bubbling to the surface, though!

xoxo
s