Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happy Groundhog's Day!


So Punxsutawney Phil, the living, breathing, four-legged, furry one, saw his shadow today. Six more weeks of winter. Fine with me.

Still, I have to chuckle. Saying six more weeks of winter, to me, implies that spring will follow. Taken literally, six weeks is slightly early for when spring technically begins. So if Phil hadn’t seen his shadow we’d have an early spring. Hmm, seems to me that takes us to about the same time as six more weeks of winter does, give or take.

In other words Groundhog’s Day is merely an excuse for festivities. Nothing wrong with that. It’s mid-winter. You could probably use a little cause for celebration since I know you aren’t like me and don’t see winter itself as reason enough to be cheerful. Nope, don’t understand that one but I’ve given up trying to.

Happy Winter!

1 comment:

Regina Carlysle said...

Funny, I read something the other day about Phil. PETA is up in arms, claiming Phil is abused and they need a rotobitic version of Phil. A town muckeldemuck said that Phil was treated better than most residents of the town. Bet he's right about that.