Friday, March 12, 2010

Techno Gizmo


Ford now has an Active Park Assist option available on a limited number of vehicles. You guessed it. It’s a button you push that will literally park your car for you once you put it in reverse at the proper moment. And that’s after it has found a parking spot for you. Yep, you switch it on when you’re at your destination and the system will scan for suitable parking spaces. It will beep when one is located. Once you proceed to the designated place, the monitor will beep again, letting you know to put your vehicle into reverse. That’s when the device takes over and whips you into the space. All you have to do is switch from forward to reverse as prompted.

Now before you get all excited about this notion there is something you should know. If you’re on a narrow street with something on the opposite side that your car could potentially hit if not extremely careful, the system will not engage. In other words, this does not eliminate the need to be able to park your car. It simply assists you under certain sets of circumstances.

So why would you pay an extra $600 on top of other high-end options packages that are required to have this system installed? Hmm, can’t answer that one because I wouldn’t. I live on one of those super narrow streets with cars parked on both sides and generally have no trouble. Oh sure, there are days when I can’t park to save my life but that’s me having a bad moment. Usually, when that happens, it’s on a wide street with plenty of room and an extra large space. Still, I don’t need some fancy gizmo to fix it. I have Howie. All I have to do is ask and he helps. And at no added expense. Sure is good to have a magical car.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm constantly amazed by new technology. Wow!