Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Confused


I was outside the other day and noticed the most delicate scent wafting through the yard. Odd. Usually all you can smell in my neighborhood is french fries cooking at the corner bar. Curious, to say the least.

I looked around and finally realized it was my holly. Poor bush doesn’t seem to realize that it’s Autumn. It’s in full bloom and is just gorgeous. Thinking on it, I can’t remember if it bloomed last Spring so I don’t know if it’s late or early. Either way, it’s not going to be much help when it comes to providing pollen to make berries. Still, it is very pretty and was such a nice surprise that I had to thank it for making my day brighter.

I rescued this plant from a trash can years ago. It was down to one sad little leaf and its former owner had given up on it. I brought it home and chipped a hole in the cement at the back of my yard, since all the dirt area was already filled in with plants. If you don’t know, hollies aren’t really supposed to grow in lime, the main ingredient in cement. I planted it anyway and then asked the yard spirits to look after it for me.

Twenty years later, it’s eight feet around, six feet tall and beautiful though a tad confused. I explained seasons and, before I headed back inside, asked the yard spirits for their continued assistance. We’ll see…

No comments: