Monday, November 29, 2010

So Wrong


Scientists are striving to develop ways of making trees glow. They intend to replace electric streetlights with these trees. They’ve been experimenting with bioluminescent genes from fireflies and a variety of glowing sea bacteria to create particles which would eventually be inserted into tree DNA. They also speculate that trees could be used for lighting for areas that aren’t included in an electric grid. Additionally, they are considering piping a form of this glowing algae into your home to replace the electric lights there.

Hmm. Personally, I don’t think I want the trees to start glowing. That’s just a bit too creepy for me. And I doubt the trees would be very pleased with it either. As for the algae streaming through my house. No, thank you. Yes, we need alternate fuel sources but I hope this isn’t the answer. I like to be surrounded by darkness at times. You can’t switch off a tree.

Imagine this. They perfect oak trees to be used for lighting. The trees make acorns. Then we have glow-in-the-dark squirrels. Which are then eaten by something else which also starts to glow. Hey there’s an idea. Let’s skip the trees and inject the glowy stuff straight into ourselves. We could be our own light source. On the other hand that would likely ruin hide ‘n seek so perhaps not.

No comments: