Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Say Please


Lately I’ve noticed more and more people starting conversations with “I need…” Is it just me or do you find that somewhat annoying too? Perhaps I’m showing my age here, but I was raised to ask for things, not make demands. Especially not from any individual I happen to stumble on.

I know the world is becoming entirely “me” focused but honestly, when someone begins with that, my instant response is to say no. Even if it’s something simple that would be absolutely no problem for me or something I might just do on average day without being asked. With me, a little politeness goes a long way.

I can’t tell you how many times I force myself to take a deep breath and swallow my first reaction. And then I wonder. Am I being unreasonable, thinking I should be asked for something rather than told what I am going to do? I just can’t tell any more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're definitely not being unreasonable. This is something that bothers me too. I don't understand why parents aren't raising their children to be more respectful and have common courtesy.