Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sigh


I had breakfast with my mother today. Yeah, I know. Don’t say it.

Anyway, we were chatting about the experimental garden she’s involved with and she happened to mention an ornamental millet they’re trying. Her big selling point to me was that the foliage looks like a miniature corn plant. Um, hello? Has this woman never listened to me in her entire life?

To be fair to the millet, I will perhaps go for a wander and have a peek at it. It could be wondrous. However, it could also attract all the frightening, evilness that inhabits corn. I’m not exactly sure how it works but if the plant looks right they may latch on to it. Even if they haven’t yet, I doubt I’m willing to take the chance that they’ll change their minds and move in. That’d be all I need. The things in the corn following me from the creepy field in to my nice, comfy yard.

She did say that if I didn’t want to drive out to the garden, I could come see them at her house since they gave out the extra plants. Again, has she never paid any attention? Even if the plant in the garden are safe, I’m sure the ones at her house aren’t. The cornfield, though somewhat stunted from this year’s lack of rain, is still there and over waist-high so no way am I going anywhere close to her house until after it’s cut. You’d think she’d know that by now, wouldn’t you?

No comments: