Monday, February 2, 2009

According to the Groundhog



Yesterday Punxatawney Phil saw his shadow. That supposedly means six more weeks of winter.

Hm, what I don't get here, and please tell me if I'm wrong, is if he doesn't see his shadow there's going to be an early spring. Well, six weeks is an early spring. So why does it matter what the little guy sees or doesn't see?

And another thing. Part of the TV equipment includes lights. Um, if you shine bright lights on something how is there not going to be a shadow? I say next year we leave the poor creature sleep in. He can come out to the party later if he feels like it. After all, isn't that the real reason behind the whole event anyway?

In other news, Maritime Academies are now offering a growing number of anti-piracy courses. Why? Because piracy incidents as reported by the International Maritime Bureau were up 11 percent in 2008. There were 293 events with 49 vessels hijacked, 889 crew members taken hostage, 11 killed and 21 reported missing and presumed dead.

Piracy hotspots have been identified off East Africa and in Southeast Asia, South America and the Caribbean. It only takes a small number of well armed pirates in a tiny skiff to take control of a huge tanker. They can also board cargo ships, coming and going, stealing the ship’s equipment before anyone notices they’re aboard. Thus the need to teach merchant seamen to be on the lookout for pirates and what to do should they encounter some.

Sorry, the article I read didn’t indicate what they do with a full-sized tanker after hijacking it and drainer whatever cargo it was transporting.

7 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

The ground hog thing is a bunch of whooey. I'm with you...let the poor thing sleep. Heard the other day that M. Bloomberg, Mayor of NY was bitten by their groundhog. Reminded me of you and your old dentist.

Unknown said...

I forgot yesterday was Groundhog's Day. Shame on me.

"Winter" is strange in South Florida. At least we think so. At least half of us are sick because the weather keeps swinging from really nice where we need no coats to really cold days (well, cold to us). My youngest and I are battling flu and bronchitis and half my department at work is sick, too.

Unknown said...

Yeah - I agree wuith you on the lights thing and the havoc they play on Phil/ I also want to know how many Phil's they have. Are they from the same Phil family? Are they trained or is it natural talent?

Sandra Cox said...

I'm sure the groundhog agrees with you, Barbara:) Did you see Groundhog Day? I think that was just hilarious.

Anny Cook said...

I never think of Groundhog Day without thinking of that movie.

Never quite understood the deal with the poor groundhog, but expect that someone certainly had a bright PR idea.

Molly Daniels said...

I think they need to bring Phil out in the SHADE, so we'll always have an early spring:)

Our own 'Fairbanks Phil' saw his shadow too. But the one on Staten Island didn't see his! So who do we believe? Damn groundhogs...

Hahahahahahahaha....

barbara huffert said...

Um, Molly 6 weeks of winter and an early spring are the same thing.

I love that movie!