Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Ramble

Superbowl Sunday... How I hate it!

I do not watch professional football. Never have, never will. It's much too slow so to me, it's incredibly boring. I did go to a game once. After I got tired of people watching I fell asleep between plays.

There's a very popular bar on my corner, the World Famous Pike Cafe. Yes, that's what really is embedded in brass in the sidewalk at the front door. Don't get me wrong, the Pike is a great place and I've spent my time there. Both before it was remodelled and after. It's a fun place, great food, good service, and a friendly staff. And there are thirty-some large flat screen TV's plastered all over so it is a great place to take in an event. In fact, if you're ever in the area I recommend you stop by. You won't be disappointed.

There've never been any problems inside on any of the many occasions I've been there. It's outside where the trouble is. You see, people, especially on major sporting event days, forget that the bar has neighbors. When they leave it's not uncommon for them to feel the need to scream and shout at each other all the way down the block long parking lot. Although that is much better than before there was a parking lot. Back then they would be in the street so when they decided to shove one another around it was often our cars that they were thrown up against. At times, they seemed to think they were in a bumper car venue instead of on a public street. Yep, I don't know anyone who's lived here for any amount of time and not had their car bumped at one point or another. The last time I called my insurance company I was informed that with the next instance my rates would go up because I live in a high risk area even though all the times I've been hit my car has been parked legally right up against the curb where it belongs.

Now I'm not blaming the bar for this. People are responsible for they're own actions. It's not the establishement's fault that those leaving are suddenly overcome with the need to clean out the inside of their cars, tossing all their trash on the ground instead of carrying it 20 yards to one of several cans spaced randomly throughout the area.

The parking lot has also helped tremendously with the parking situation on most days. Except, of course, big game days. Like today. Today, I won't leave my house after 2 because if I do I won't be able to park within blocks when I returned. It's not that I really have any place I want to go. I did all my errands yesterday. It's just the point of the matter.

I guess what I'm really trying to say today is have some respect. If you go out to a bar or a superbowl party, have fun but don't act like an ass when you're heading home. Some of us who aren't football fans will be trying to sleep.

6 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

I thought falling asleep during the game was part of the mystique:)

Bronwyn Green said...

I have no patience for football. All my neighbors are having parties and blocking the street. I'm hoping this year will be brawl free - it would be nice for a change.

Regina Carlysle said...

Whatever happened to manners?

Anonymous said...

R, apparently manners and beer do not mix!

B, we don't want Howie to suffer any injuries, glad for the parking lot myself. He's just too cute!

Unknown said...

I agree with you B but some people are just plain stupid and thoughtless and will never change

Anny Cook said...

Why are there parties for the Super Bowl? Why do we give it that much power? Ick.