Monday, February 16, 2009

In Today's News




I had the radio on overnight again. You hear the most bizarre things in the middle of the night.

The world record holder for the longest fingernails has them no more. She was in an accident and tosssed from her SUV. She’s reported to be fine but her nails aren’t. They all broke.

The last time she trimmed them was in 1979. In total she had almost twenty-eight feet of nail. Yes, that’s correct, feet. Her right thumb nail, the longest, was approaching two feet.

Several questions here. How do you possibly function with those kinds of nails? And why the hell would you even want to? Sorry, but to me a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records is just not worth it.

When I was little my grandmother and I used to go to luncheon fashion shows at a local department store restaurant. There was a woman who we saw fairly often whose nails were longer than normal. I’d say maybe about four inches. They were brown and curling around, kind of like mountain sheep horns. I hated when she was seated near us. It was disturbing and in my opinion, they were just plain gross. I can’t imagine seeing over a foot of that on each finger, all gnarly and disfigured. I don’t want to, Guinness worthy or not.

5 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

Honest to God, I hadn't laughed once, all day long, until I read this post. How could one do ANYTHING with those nails?

Unknown said...

Well, I see it like this - if they want to have nails that long then good luck to them. I don't understand why but then I don't have to.

Molly Daniels said...

Apparently, she was independently wealthy, IMHO...I had trouble functioning when I tried the designer Lee Press-On Nails! I had to lay on the floor just to read! I couldn't figure out how to turn the pages with those things in the way!

Bronwyn Green said...

Ewwwww...but I guess what ever works for her. I wonder if she'll regrow them or realize how much easier life is without them.

Anny Cook said...

Sad to lose your only claim to fame...