Monday, February 2, 2009

I Was Bad


Years ago, I was between dentists. My childhood one was retiring and my current hadn’t taken over his practice yet. So I thought I’d try someone close by.

I should have followed my instincts and turned right around as soon as I walked in. I don’t know why I didn’t since I got such an instantaneous bad feeling about the man. Not that there was anything visibly wrong. No, he seemed nice enough and the office was clean. I just didn’t like him for no tangible reason.

Then, as he was getting started, he told me to let him know if he was hurting me so he could stop. Um, hurting me? He felt it necessary to warn me? Yes, I didn’t leave before but I should have then. He began and it did hurt. I told him, several times, in fact and he didn’t quit. So I did the only thing I could think of. I bit him. Hey, grunting and attempting to pull away hadn’t worked. What would you have done? Needless to say, that was the last time I went there.

My current dentist is a sweetheart. He’s up on all the latest technology, he has a thing for gadgets, and he’s never hurt me at all. Oh, I did mention my experience with the other guy to the office manager who was the same one who was there when I was a kid. She wasn’t at all surprised. And I think she may have informed the hygenists since the first few times I had my teeth cleaned they kept checking to make sure I was comforatable.

5 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

Ha. Good for you. I've felt that way a LOT lately. Of course, you know I had my root canal today. I've been in bed moaning most of the day. When will these people learn that no means no?

Unknown said...

Too bad people say things they don't mean. There's too much of that.

I don't like football or Superbowl Sunday either. At least this year hubby watched the game in another room and didn't expect me to watch it with him.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I would have bitten him or kneed him in the balls so he was aware of the level of pain - and you weren't bad, you were justified.

anny cook said...

Yep. Had that happen. Never went back. I WISH I had bitten her. If it ever happens again I will.

Sommer Marsden said...

WE are the only species who will ignore or talk ourselves out of our instinctual response. We should stop doing that.

And you bit him! Hell yeah! Go back and bite him again. Asshole.

Him. Not you.

xoxo
sommer
p.s. my word verification is "mango" and now I am hungry.