Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Explain Please


Perhaps I’m not paying enough attention here because admittedly I’m not a baseball fan by any stretch of the imagination. But I do listen to the radio and hear things now and then.

This morning the there was a bit of chatter about Mark McGwire admitting to steroid use and how he’s been hired as hitting coach for the St. Louis Cardinals. Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t steroid use have a direct impact on performance, thereby potentially altering the outcome of any game he participated in? How can he still be associated with baseball and eligible for the Hall of Fame?

Pete Rose bet on teams other than his own, which might have been unfair to the bookies since he had more knowledge of player performance than the average Joe but in no way had anything to do with final scores of the games he bet on. Yet he’s banned from all things baseball for life.

I’m sure I’ve over-simplified this and there is probably much more to it but I really don’t think I understand.

1 comment:

Regina Carlysle said...

I agree with you. This should prevent him from entry into the Hall of Fame. The current argument is that steroid use, during his hayday was fairly accepted. He says he would have been a big homerun hitter without them. Hm. I personally don't think he'll get in now.