Friday, January 1, 2010

Sheesh!



So once again the noisemakers of choice in my neighborhood were guns. Granted they do make lots of noise but what goes up must come down. As has been my habit the last few years I made sure I was upstairs, away from windows in plenty of time before midnight. If I’d been able, I would have taken Howie with me too. I checked him today and he made it unscathed. Yay, Howie!

Some of the local businesses sponsor a fireworks display on top of the mountain every year. This year was wet and foggy but they went off anyway. I used to go out on my second floor porch to watch them. Until the year one of the noisemaker rounds bounced off the wall of my house right next to the porch. Yeah, I wasn’t really exaggerating at the beginning of this.

I peeked out the window and the fog was so heavy all the lower fireworks did was color it. There were a few high enough to break through and look traditional so I suppose it wasn’t a waste. The radio today made a big deal out of how we need to continue celebrations like that in order to reassure people things are getting better. Hmm, not so sure I agree with that one. I really don’t think people are that easily fooled or pacified but I could be wrong. I’ll have to ask around Monday, see what others think. Anyone have an opinion? I’d be very interested in hearing it.

No comments: