Thursday, September 29, 2011

It's Always Something


Last week, I came home one day to a notice attached to my door. A water department inspector had apparently visited and decided the meter inside my house needs to be repaired. I was given two weeks to see to it before they shut off my water.

Hmm, okay. My water usage is read by way of a gizmo located on the outside of my house but I called the number as instructed anyway. Remarkably, I was connected to a very pleasant woman who understood I would not be leaving work in order to deal with this as doing so would jeopardize my ability to pay my water bill. She took all my information, including that I was home early on Thursdays and stated someone would be calling me.

Someone did! Believe it or not, there are two pleasant people working in the customer service center. Located in Philadelphia, by the way. Reading no longer has personnel to deal with such things. She very nicely set up an appointment for me today.

So last night I rearranged things in my basement in order for the repairman to get to the corner where the old meter is located. I got home at precisely three as I said I would and sitting in front of my house was a water department truck with a third pleasant individual! Fourteen minutes later I had a brand new, shiny meter and he was on his way.

All that’s left to do is call the other number tomorrow to inform the inspection folks that the repairs are completed. Then, as I’m sure is the whole point of this exercise, they will promptly begin to charge me the new, higher rate as they’ve been promising to do for the last six months.

No comments: