Friday, September 23, 2011

Nostalgia


When I was a kid, I remember my grandfather going on and on about how he had to suffer through All My Children with his lunch every day. My grandmother was accustomed to watching while she ate and didn’t see any need to alter her routine just because he retired.

These two had very mixed emotions when it came to me. He was the sweetest. She wasn’t. And his being wonderful to me always seemed to annoy her. As did my grandfather and I joking about his enforced watching of All My Children. Over the summer I actually watched now and then too so we could talk about specific plots twists.

When my grandmother passed away, he was so in the habit of watching that he continued, even without her there. By that time, he’d decided that Erica was hot so he didn’t want to miss seeing her. I was 21 by then so grandfather and I would meet up for an occasional evening at his corner bar. It always included some time spent catching up on Erica’s latest antics.

Today was the last episode of All My Children. It was on for 42 years. I haven’t seen an episode in ages but it still makes me a bit sad, knowing that something good from my childhood is now well and truly gone.

No comments: