Friday, January 30, 2009

Gotta Laugh


At some men’s irrational fear of feminine products. I’m sorry. I certainly don’t mean to offend anyone by discussing this but I have a question. If you are put off then stop reading now and come back tomorrow.

What’s the big deal with carrying an unopened box of products? Why do grown men get so flustered about this stuff? Today I watched a male grab two very heavy boxes, allowing the other guy with him the two very light ones just because one was a box of hygiene supplies. He’d rather risk injury than be seen crossing the street with that box in his possession. It made me wonder. After all, if they’re putting tab A into slot B then surely they are aware of certain facts about how women work, just as the vast majority of the adult population is. If not, they have no business doing the slot thing in the first place.

Years ago I was a buyer and I had to order the supplies to restock the machines in the ladies’ restrooms. The first salesman I had blushed and couldn’t talk about it. Cracked me up every time and of course I had to call with questions often just to torment him. He had a problem even giving me pricing. As you might guess, he didn’t last all that long. Possibly I had something to do with that but really, he was in the wrong line of work.

The next rep I had was a pleasant surprise. He not only could discuss the products with ease but showed up and asked questions when his company shipped the non-preferred variety. He went so far as to open a package of each to see the difference so he would be knowledgeable with his other accounts. He did very well and lasted for years. In fact, that was over 20 years ago and we’ve both since moved on but still stay in touch.

Sorry, got sidetracked. As I started out asking, why are men so silly about something that is simply a part of everyday life? Ladies, if you have sons, please teach them better. Gentlemen, if you’ve made it this far, explain please.

A note on yesterday's blog - Taz is not a new kitten. He's the first cat I had when I got my house 25 years ago. He always wanted his story told and I think it's time. There are more episodes to come.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"of course I had to call with questions often just to torment him"....of course you would...

May I suggest you continue with your thought about this book being for kids and seriously looks at pubbing it and not putting any more on yout blog for obvious reasons.

Anny Cook said...

The house hunk has always been pretty blasé about the whole thing. If I needed them, he'd go pick them up. I imagine it really has to do with how they're raised. All of my kids were raised that it's a necessary part of life like tp and razor blades.

Regina Carlysle said...

That's so funny and I can imagine you teasing the poor guy. My guys always switched the channel and yelled EWWWW every time a feminine hygene product was advertised yet thought NOTHING of having me pick up a box of condoms. Weird.

Molly Daniels said...

When the kids and I went to Ottowa in '04 and our luggage was lost for the entire week, I had to ask my BIL how he felt about purchasing some feminine hygeine products (The temp was 0 degrees, and he was heading out to get some cold medicine for my sis). He replied that since he grew up with two sisters and was now married, it was no problem!

I used to be shy about buying condoms. But now it doesn't bother me...I guess marriage took care of that!