Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Visitor


Day two of spring yesterday and migraine season is already upon me.

I went off to bed, not expecting to sleep, and contorted myself, getting as comfortable as possible. See, that’s the thing about migraines with me. They don’t go away until I sleep and I can’t sleep because it hurts too much. Anyway, I was twisted around, neck stretched, arm twisted, face mashed into the not nearly cold enough pillow, when I felt someone sit on the bed beside me. Yes, it was a someone. Too much movement for a cat. Bixby, who was stretched out on the other side of me, picked up his head to look. When he began to purr, I figure whoever it was had reached across me to pet him. He doesn’t like most people so when he didn’t bolt neither did I.

I waited. Then I heard my grandmother. She’d come for one of her visits. We talked softly. Amazing she could understand what I was saying since I was all pressed into the pillow but she could. Perhaps it had something to do with her being dead over thirty years. Maybe that’s an ability you develop once you die, speaking through pillows.

As we chatted, she fuzzed my hair as she always had when I was a small child. Ever have anyone do that? Catch a strand of hair between two fingers, usually right behind your ear, and then rub their fingers together until the strand was separated and fluffed? Very relaxing. After a few minutes, she shushed me, telling me we’d speak later and it was time for me to sleep. I started to explain why I doubted that was possible but she wouldn’t hear it. She rubbed my back as she used to and I was out for three hours. Not long enough to make the migraine go away completely but it did at least take the edge off. Perhaps she'll come back tonight.
Amazing, yes?

2 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

I hope she DOES come back. I have similar experiences with my dad but not nearly as strong as what you experience. I smell his pipe tobacco and the aftershave he always wore. I feel his presence but that's it.

Unknown said...

I totally believe she will always be there when you need her.