Monday, March 16, 2009

Forgiven?


Nope, not yet.

When I was a very small child, I had the coolest toy ever. It was a turtle on wheels. It had a seat and you propelled it with your feet on the floor, not pedals. Bet you’re wondering why that was so cool, aren’t you? I haven’t told you the best part yet. When you bounce on it, it would shoot ping-pong balls out of its mouth.

I’m not sure if it was the Women’s Club or Junior League, my mother belonged to both at the time, but one of them was having a white elephant sale. Well good old mom decided I would donate my treasured turtle to the cause. Needless to say, I was hysterical. Other than my stuffed bear that the neighbor across the street gave me when I was born, that was my most adored possession.

Nothing I could say would convince her to take all my other toys except for the bear if only she would spare my turtle. I wanted to buy it back at the sale but no, she was having none of that either. Not even when no one else bought it and it was loaded up in the truck to take on to the next sale.

I’ve never let her forget it, that’s for sure. Every argument we’ve had since then has ended with me pointing out that she got rid of my turtle. Yes, that always stops her cold. I have yet to figure out if it was me or the turtle she hated. I suspect it was both.

Oh, in case you’re wondering, I still have the bear, raggedy though he is. I would have the turtle too if not for her.

4 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

Okay. I want to say something really bad right now. That was just unforgivable.

Unknown said...

Karma is a bitch and I rely on it to do it's work even with turtle vengeance

Molly Daniels said...

Surprisingly enough, I think that's the reaction I would have if my two turtle toys (still intact at home) were to suddenly and mysteriously 'disappear'...

Hmmm...maybe I ought to make that fact clear when I go home tomorrow??

Anny Cook said...

Bad stuff. Bad.