Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Alrighty Then


William Archibald Spooner
1844 – 1930
William Archibald Spooner is forever locked into history because the linguistic phenomenon known as a “spoonerism” is named after him. A spoonerism involves the accidental (or sometimes intentional) swapping of letters, words, or vowels in a sentence - for example: “Go and shake a tower” (meaning “go and take a shower”). Spooner was a professor at Oxford and he became so famous for his spoonerisms that people would attend his lectures just to hear him make a mistake. He was not pleased about the great publicity that surrounded him but as he neared death his attitude softened and he gave interviews to the press. Spooner not only got his words wrong: he once wrote to a fellow professor to ask him to come immediately to help solve a problem. At the end of the letter he added a post-script that the matter had been resolved and he needn’t come.

Some spoonerisms attributed to Spooner are:
“Mardon me padam, this pie is occupewed. Can I sew you to another sheet?” (Pardon me, madam, this pew is occupied. Can I show you to another seat?)“Let us glaze our asses to the queer old Dean” (…raise our glasses to the dear old Queen)“We’ll have the hags flung out” (…flags hung out)

Simon Ellerton
1702-1799
Simeon Ellerton lived in the 18th century and was a fitness fanatic. Because he loved to walk long distances, he was often employed to carry out errands or act as a courier for the locals. On his many frequent journeys he would gather up stones from the roadside and carry them on his head. His aim was to gather sufficient stones to build his own house. Eventually he had enough stones and he made a little cottage for himself. Having spent so many years carrying extra weight, he felt uncomfortable without it, so for the rest of his life he walked around with a bag of stones on his head.

Francis Egerton
1756-1829
Francis Egerton (8th Earl of Bridgewater) inherited his title along with a very large fortune in 1823. He became famous for his unusual dinner parties which he threw for dogs. All of the invited dogs would be dressed in the finest fashions of the day - including shoes. Another eccentricity was his manner of measuring time; Egerton would wear a pair of shoes only once - when he was done with them, he would line them up in rows in order to count the passing days. He also kept pigeons and partridges which had their wings clipped so he could shoot them for sport even with failing eyesight. When he died he left a large number of important documents on the subject of French and Italian literature to the British Museum, as well as a large financial donation to the Royal Society.

William Buckland
1784-1856
William Buckland is famous for two things: he was the first man to write a full account of a fossil, and he was incredibly eccentric when it came to animals and food. Buckland’s love of natural history resulted in his house being something akin to a zoo. He filled it with animals of every kind and he then proceeded to eat them all (and serve them to guests). He claimed to have eaten his way through every animal. The creatures that he said tasted worst were bluebottle flies, and mole. Various guests to dinner describe being served panther, crocodile, and mouse. A famous storyteller at the time (Augustus Hare) told this tale of Buckland: “Talk of strange relics led to mention of the heart of a French King [Louis XIV] preserved at Nuneham in a silver casket. Dr. Buckland, whilst looking at it, exclaimed, ‘I have eaten many strange things, but have never eaten the heart of a king before,’ and, before anyone could hinder him, he had gobbled it up, and the precious relic was lost for ever.”

Now here’s my question. We all have quirks. Which of yours will you be remembered for in 100 years?



7 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

Little quirk? Hmm. I'm not sure. I always walk leading with my right foot first, I never walk with one shoe on and one shoe off and my dishes have to be arrange a 'certain way' in the dishwater. Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

barbara huffert said...

Interesting though I doubt they'll get you on an eccentric persons list in 100 years. Thanks for sharing. Let us know if you come up with anything else.

Unknown said...

I come home from work, I read your blog and I think 'huh...'

Quirks...I can't say 'th' words properly unless I stop and think or sometimes fink before I speak. I am messy as all get out. I must live alone and everything must be done my way...other than that I'm pretty god damn perfect

barbara huffert said...

AJ, you will be remembered as the woman who coined the term pukeable.

Sandra Cox said...

Boy, did reading that make me feel normal.

Molly Daniels said...

LOL Sandra:)

Quirks? Probably my sinus issues, hahahaha....or the fact I eat dry cereal?

Anny Cook said...

After reading your post, I've concluded that I have absolutely no quirks at all. None that I will claim, anyway. Very interesting post, Barb!