Thursday, March 12, 2009

Fixed, Yay!

There are mirrors on the moon. Astronauts left them so that laser beams could be bounced off of them from Earth. These beams help give us the distance to the moon give or take a few meters. How’s that for useless information? What I want to know is how often the moon spins to the proper spot so it aligns with our lasers and we can actually access the mirrors.

So last night I got home, did my chores and flipped on my computer to post my blog only to find all sorts of warnings flashing all over the screen. I think I even saw one that said “Danger, Will Robinson!” mixed in with the others. I don’t know what happened or how but my computer that was fine in the wee hours of the morning was no longer in the twilight of evening.

I finally figured out which warning to click on that would take me to the how to fix the mess I didn’t create thread. I followed the instructions to a T and surprise, surprise it didn’t work. Yeah, I know. Silly me, expecting it to.

After another long and frustrating search, sans swearing since, as we all know, computers are self-willed machines that will toy with you in ways you can’t begin to imagine if you’re at all mean to them, I finally located the live help option. Guess who I spent the next two hours chatting with? Jayashree Krishnamoorthy. Sorry but I had to laugh when the tiny avatar was politically correct.

Good ole Jayashree was excellent as long as I followed the script. However, when I asked what the hell happened in the first place to cause the problem and how can I prevent it from happening again, he didn’t fare so well. In fact, he muttered something, yes, men can mutter even while online, that made no sense and repeated his original has he helped me with my problem line.

Since he did make it all better I thought it best to drop my question before he got annoyed and undid what he’d just done. I thanked him politely, wished him a happy day, and let him move on to the next poor techno-moron.

My question – Are Indians genetically engineered to be computer wizards since all the tech support in the world seems to be based there?

In other news, all is now right in my world. Harry’s toy reappeared so he is now a happy little playing cat again. I have a release date from Ellora’s Cave, May 15th, for Hot Rush, aka the canoe story. And I have the day off Friday. Doesn’t get much better than that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate those warning signs. I never know which one to click and you just know it will be the wrong one and worlds will collide.

As for the guy that helped you - I think companies put more trainign into their staff or that staff want teh job more

Regina Carlysle said...

Oh Lordy! Sorry about the comp problem. That crap always freaks me out because, like you, I'm techno challenged. Glad Jay-whatever helped you out.