Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Oh No!


Harry’s favorite toy is missing and he’s very sad. (Reminds me of a song in the Dr. Seuss Song Book I used to play when I took piano lessons as a kid, Somebody Stole my Hoo-Too-Foo-To-Boo-To-Bah. As I recall, the expression on the critter’s face resembles poor Harry’s.)

Last night `he sat staring at me with his mopey little face, looking so dejected that I quit trying to send him to find it on his own like I usually do and helped. We spent over an hour crawling around the floor, his head right next to mine, looking under things, poking around with the yardstick, taking apart the bottom of the refrigerator but to no avail. This time he tucked it away in such a good hiding place that I can’t find it.

I kept asking him where it was, telling him to go to it so I could fish it out from wherever it’s stuck. He led me all over the house but nope, still no toy. It’s a handmade, blue and green plaid catnip mouse with a green ribbon tail and he loves it.

I’ve already hidden it in the bottom of the toy box and he yanked out the other fifty toys to get it. That’s how much he loves his little mouse. Of course, nothing else will do when it’s missing. Oh, he plays with the others too but only after he’s dropped his mouse in my lap. I think he does that for safekeeping, so no one else can touch it. The one time Quinn tried to pandemonium ensued and fur flew. Yes, Harry has sharing issues but only with that one toy. And really, is it so bad

Generally in the morning after the boys have breakfast he plays while I check emails and write. He’ll bring it for me to toss, always dropping it right on my foot so it’s easy to reach. Today, he sighed at me and took his sad self back to bed. Let me tell you, nothing tugs at your heart like a despondent kitty.

I once again asked the other boys to help Harry locate it while I worked today but it wasn’t in the middle of the floor when I got home so I suspect we’re in for another evening of search and rescue.

5 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

Poor, Harry.
He is gorgeous, his fur is so shiny.

Regina Carlysle said...

Awww. That's sad. Do you think you can find another one somewhere?

Anonymous said...

Oh, Harry. It has to be somewhere. I hope he finds it. Nothing like losing something that you love. Poor baby. He is gorgeous, too. What a doll.
Good luck on that search.

Unknown said...

Hmmm...I think he is playing mind games with you and he wants something else...I would ask him flat out what is came is

Anny Cook said...

Heh... it'll be in the last place you expect. Naturally! Best wishes with finding Harry's toy.