Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Music Lessons


When I was in fourth grade my school music program asked if anyone was interested in learning to play an instrument. I chose the flute. My parents dictated that I play the string bass instead. You’ll need to ask my mother for their reasoning. I never have gotten a valid answer.

I turned out to be technically decent even though I was not musical in the slightest. At that age technical counted for more than having an ear. In seventh grade I began to audition for all possible music festivals. As I saw it, that was a legitimate way to skip school. Since I was so mechanically proficient, I was always selected to participate and made it all the way to the state level.

One year, I met a cellist who went on and on about how superior he was and how being a mere bassist was nothing. Me being me, borrowed a cello from the school, taught myself the audition piece and the standard scales and, without telling anyone, auditioned on both cello and bass. Imagine his surprise when the list came out and I ranked higher than he did. No, I didn’t attend on cello. I didn’t have to since I’d made my point.

I ended up having a lot of fun with the bass even though it hadn’t been my choice. I went to a really cool music camp with great people, some of whom I still talk to. I also went along with an orchestra that performed all over the UK and ended up spending a summer with one of the host families.

And then there was the summer I took bagpipe lessons. On second thought, I better save that for another day.

I still have my bass, bagpipes too, though I haven’t had it out of the case in years. I might someday. Oh, I did get a flute last year. I figure I’ll teach myself to play it while sitting on the porch this summer. I’m sure my neighbors will get a big kick out of monitoring my progress.

No blog tomorrow. Too much stuff to do.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I got asked to leave music class as I was talking to much...but for that I got have been a brilliant piano/harmonica player

Molly Daniels said...

I have the 'ear'. While others in my beginning band class were struggling with the front-of-the-book songs, I flipped to the back and mastered those instead. And I thing I blogged last year about how I proved my skills in the college band.

Regina Carlysle said...

I am musically inept both vocally and with instruments. I'm so glad you put that braying ass in his place though. Perfect.