Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Uh Oh



Did you see they are now recalling pistachios? I read the article as I was eating my pistachio muffin last night. It’s been a whole day and I’m totally fine so I’m not worried about it. Wasn’t worried then either and no way was I tossing the muffin.

In case you haven’t guessed, I love pistachios. In all forms. I even enjoy shelling them. Yes, I do know they’re available out of the shell but that’s the only way to control how many I eat. When my fingers start to hurt, I’ve had enough.

I saw that they’re recalling Planters products. I have a container of Pistachio Lovers Mix, 50% pistachios with cashews and almonds. Nope, they can’t have it back. I’ve eaten about a third of the container over the last week and a half and again, I’m still okay so I’m keeping it.

Supposedly they shut down the plant because two people called the FDA complaining of gastrointestinal troubles that as yet have not been definitively linked to the nuts. And then, to be proactive, they recalled 2 million pounds shipped out to 36 countries between September and now. Commendable? Perhaps. I suppose it’s better to be safe than have death by pistachio.

Something I found interesting is the discussion on how roasting is supposed to kill off salmonella bacteria. Does that mean in general raw nuts are all contaminated to some extent? According to the California Pistachio Board, California provides 99.9% of all pistachios in the country. Didn’t even know there was such an organization but perhaps I should ask them.
To find out some really cool nut facts, click on the pic.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I could see how you would find a discussion on roasting nuts fascinating.

Sandra Cox said...

I saw that too about raw nuts, Barb, and took a deep gulp as I've been munching on a package of raw pecans. But I'm alive and standing:)

Regina Carlysle said...

I recently devoured a small bag of Pistachio crisps. They were so yummy I was headed out to get more when I saw the news report. Damn it, I'm getting more anyway. The last batch didn't kill me.

Anonymous said...

Please download and use the image you are currently leeching (hotlinking) from our website. You can do this by right clicking the image, then save image as... then upload to your blog. The way you are doing it now leeches bandwidth from our server. thank you!
artsnuts.com