Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter


Not much today. I spent the morning getting my yard ready for spring, yanking the old plants that I left for the birds to pick at throughout the winter, pulling the weeds that are already growing, planting some new bulbs that I don’t have room for. It’s okay though. I had a chat with the yard spirits that watch over things for me and they assured me all would be fine. Early purple daylilies, mid-summer Mexican daylilies in shades of pink that shouldn’t grow in this region but will since I consulted the yard spirits and some late summer fire flowers in red and yellow that I’ve never seen before but look like they’re in the lily family.

At the moment I have a bright yellow primrose carpet, assorted daffodils including mini ones and pink ones, multi-colored hyacinths and grape hyacinths. My red tulips have buds, the old-fashioned orange poppies will soon and the shades of purple columbine and coreopsis are sprouted. And some of the annual pinks from last year survived the winter so they’ll be blooming very early. Keep in mind that my entire yard would probably fit in an oversized living room so I have way more stuff than I should. All it takes is some friendly yard spirits and everything grows beautifully.

Okay, it’s a holiday so I think I’ll spend the rest of the day on the porch reading while by fur babies do some bird watching. Have a wonderful day, whatever you do.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you had a Happy Easter.

I keep saying I have to get my garden under control. I have to trim and even pull a lot - I always feel like I'm hurting the plants - okay, I know I'm weird, but that's my story.

Have a happy spring, too.

Regina Carlysle said...

You are so industrious. I've been sitting on my rear all day.

Molly Daniels said...

Found a baby rabbit on our porch yesterday as everyone was leaving; we joked that the Easter Bunny was doing some early training, and the little guy had nearly been caught:)