Monday, April 20, 2009

Disappointed? Perhaps Not

I had a Midnight Truffle Blizzard. Yes, I caved. Hey, you should be impressed that it took a whole week. So I had one. I wish I hadn’t. It was okay. That’s it. Just okay. The dream of it was so much better than the reality.

But that’s life, isn’t it? Why would a silly treat be any different? Or perhaps that’s why I let myself have one, thinking that something so inane might possibly live up to the hype. All in all it doesn’t really matter but still, it would have been nice.

“The first rule of avoiding disappointment is to lower your expectations.” I heard that on a commercial. The problem, as I see it, is that you must first have expectations in order to lower them. I gave that up a long time ago. It makes life easier overall that way.

Ah but wait. That’s only half of it. There are also the things you encounter purely by chance that surprise the hell out of you because they are so perfectly right in what they are it’s like you were meant to come across them, that they were waiting specifically for you to find them even though you have yet to determine their cosmic purpose. Which brings up the question of whether or not you really need to know that in order to accept what’s right in front of you. No, I don’t think so. Some things just are and I’m okay with that.

Yeah, life sure is funny sometimes. I’ll attempt to make more sense tomorrow but I’m not giving you any guarantees. Life’s like that.

No comments: