Sunday, April 26, 2009

Yep, It's Me


I went to the grocery store today. Another innocuous activity, right? Not if you’re me it’s not.

I was meandering along, minding my own business when what did I spy in the meat counter? And on special no less? Chicken feet. Lopped of at the ankle, toenails included. Naturally I had to take a picture for you. Should have seen the look on the face of the little boy restocking nearby.

Of course, since I already had his attention, I asked how one prepared chicken feet. Poor kid didn’t speak much English to begin with and I think I scared some so he finally blurted out grill and stood there trembling. I was nice. I politely thanked him and went in search of someone else to question.

Luckily, it didn’t take long. When I repeated my query as to what one does with chicken feet the first response I got was that they are used in sacrifices. Can you tell we’ve spoken previously? I pointed out that generally those rituals required a live chicken at the start of them so he revised his answer, explaining that some people use them in soups.

As I’ve mentioned before I make a lot of soup but really, I think I’ll give the chicken foot varities a pass.

1 comment:

Anny Cook said...

Only you, Barb. Only you. Though I did know that about the soup. Ick.