Friday, April 10, 2009

My Day


I went to visit my great aunt today. It was a very bittersweet day. She’s 92 and still a true sweetheart but she’s definitely beginning to fail. Her body, not her mind. It’s as sharp as ever. This time she had a tremendous amount of trouble getting up out of chairs and the car. She mentioned that there are few places she goes these days because it’s just too much walking.

That makes me very sad. My great aunt is the only family member who’s ever told me she’s proud of me. Even today, she said it again. The anthologies I have stories in with Total-E-Bound are finally in print so I sent them to her. She only had them for two days but already read both my tales. She also wanted to know all about what else is going on with my writing. We were waiting for a table at Olive Garden when she brought it up and the other family members that were with us actually moved away when she asked. Now I’m sure, if I pressed them, they’d say it was purely coincidental that they chose that particular moment to drift off but I have my doubts.

My great aunt is down another friend since I saw her last so we exchange a few memories. This friend was a fellow teacher who she’d known for 70 years. She was around my entire life and she was one, like my great aunt who was always happy to see me and declared me wonderful, merely for showing up. Years ago, when I had a day off and met the ladies for lunch, she appeared with the prettiest pair of ruby and diamond earrings for me. She had gotten them as a gift only they were for pierced ears which she didn’t have. With all the females she knew, I was the one she chose to pass them on to. This woman couldn’t cook to save her own life. She roasted a chicken once but used drink stirrers as skewers. Naturally they melted long before the chicken was cooked but even so, she ate it anyway. And then there was the time she came to school and asked my great aunt if she could still eat a slice of ham that had grass growing on it. And she was forgetful. Not just towards the end. She’d always been that way. When arranging a lunch with her my great aunt would have to confirm it at least six times or the woman would go somewhere else and then call later, wondering where she was and why she hadn’t shown up.

For years, I heard a new story about what this woman was up to just about every time I called my great aunt. I think I’m going to miss her almost as much as the locals do. And now I have to worry that my great aunt has one less contemporary to hang out with. As I said, it was a bittersweet day.

Enjoy the people in your life while you have them.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

She sounds like an excellemt woman that you have been gifted to know

Regina Carlysle said...

I agree. They both, your great aunt and her friend, sound like wonderful ladies. I'm so glad you got to spend some time with her.

Molly Daniels said...

That's how I feel about the great people I've met while visiting the MIL:)

Anonymous said...

Barb,

You've been blessed to have both of these ladies in your life, and your great aunt is blessed to have you! At least you are a smart and sweet enough lady to share the time you have with her.
I think people take each other for granted too often, only to regret it a bit too late.

My heart goes out to you

Unknown said...

Poor Barb...sorry couldn't help myself