Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I Wanna Play


Have you seen the commercials for Crayola’s 3D sidewalk chalk yet? I noticed one the other day and must admit, I’m fascinated. It looks like it would be so cool to play with. It works by combining warm and cool colors. When put next to each other with the glasses on, the warm colors appear to pop up off the surface. And Crayola is so nice that they even pair the optimal color up for you so you don’t need to figure it out on your own,

Several problems however, the biggest being I have absolutely no artistic talent. Nope, none whatsoever. I doubt I could even manage the basic fish they show on the commercial. That means I can’t just get myself some and go out and draw pictures in my street. I think, if I were creative that way, I could pull it off as artwork and people would just shake their heads, saying Barb’s at it again as they do when I undertake one of my yard projects. However, not being so inclined, they’d just think I was insane. Which, okay, I probably am.

I suppose I could buy some for the kids I know and then beg them to let me play with too. But, since they’re kids and I’m not, I’d have to sit back and be an adult, letting them do the majority of the playing with me merely adding tiny bits here and there as they directed me to.

Why is it, I wonder, so unacceptable for adults to have harmless fun without children involved? Why would it be frowned upon for me to get some of this amazing stuff and use it all by myself? Come on, you know I’m right. If I went out to the sidewalk across the street that borders a fenced in parking lot and drew unrecognizable stuff all over it someone would call the police. To come with backup for the crazy woman drawing in the street. Can you imagine the expressions on their face if I tried explaining that I was just playing?

I don’t think it’s quite fair that we, as adults, can’t indulge ourselves with all the nifty new things that have been invented since we were kids. Hmm, going to need to give this one more thought, I can feel it.

2 comments:

Kenzie Michaels said...

Do you have a patio in the back yard?

Go on and just DO IT! Blame it on temporary return to childhood. Or mid-life crisis. Hey, it works for men and sports cars...

Regina Carlysle said...

Oh yeah, I'm with Kenzie. Pick some up and go play. Sometimes you just have to go for it. I've seen the commecials and it looks so cool.