Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Playlist


I may have mentioned it before but there’s always music of some sort playing within my head. My very own soundtrack. Sometimes it’s whole songs but, for the most part, I can’t tell you what they are. I really suck when it comes to that sort of thing. It’s okay though. I know people who pay attention and indulge me if I ever get around to asking.

The thing is, a lot of the time, what’s playing on my internal sound system, isn’t just one song. No, I have the habit of taking bits and pieces from things I hear and linking them all together, rearranging them, until they become fixed into something new only I will ever know. Then, when I hear the original on the radio, I think, no, that’s not right. It doesn’t go like that.

I have a friend who’s been exposing me to new things lately. Things I really enjoy and have made my own compilation of. I wish there were some way to share this in return. Hmm, I wonder, with all the technological advances being made, if that will one day be possible. To tap into someone’s mind and record the music playing there. Nah, probably not. But wouldn’t it be interesting?

Something else. My characters do the same thing. Not surprising, since they’re all bits of me anyway. The twist is they don’t necessarily hear the same things I do at the same time I am. So there are multiple playlists going on within my mind simultaneously. I’m not sure how it works but they coexist in harmony. Combined, they do not equal noise. What’s really amazing is that, on occasion, I’ll have a character that knows what all the songs are. I suppose that means I really do pay attention on some level. It’s nice to be able to take a break from asking my friends no matter how tolerant they are.

How about you? Is it quiet within your mind? If so, I’m sorry. I can’t begin to imagine what that would be like.

5 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

My mind never plays music appropriate to the situation:)

Molly Daniels said...

I had to take a hearing test once in a soundproof booth. It would have been fine, except I had trouble silencing the music in my head! Hard to concentrate on tones in the ear when you have rock-n-roll trying to compete. I don't even remember what song it was, but I remember having to ask the tech to repeat.

Regina Carlysle said...

Not quiet at ALL. I can never remember names of songs though and I have to ask the kids.

Mia Watts said...

Not silent in here. Actually it's rather loud. I dream in sound as well therefore rarely listen to music when I have the option of silence.

Besides, I get rather affected by music.

Anny Cook said...

Complete silence unless I specifically turn it on. Hmmm. Real life is the same way.